Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Adaptation B Textures and Bump Maps

I redesigned the colours on my sail to look more in tune with the rest of the ship, now it's made of skin in a patchwork style and has some of the children's drawings as tattoos. I've also adjusted the hair colour from brown to grey-white and added bump maps to give everything the feeling that it might just be real. I will ask Alan to help me with the lighting and then finalise the bump maps, as they might not currently work well with the model.

Saturday, 23 April 2016

Adaptation B texturing

I've spent yesterday and today texturing my boat, and even though many textures are not finished yet, I do have one for every detail. Over the next few days I will focus on making the body, floor and cabin feel more like they're part of the same object, as the body for example looks still very... sterile?

Thursday, 21 April 2016

Adaptation B finished UV lay out

Even though my Maya crashed earlier when Alan showed me how to UV the body of the ship, I now managed to lay out all the UV's in a way that I can work with! I have started playing around with a few textures as well but as I forgot my graphics tablet pen they are drawn by mouse and don't look their best, definitely not the finals. I will devote tomorrow to texturing and will hopefully get lots done.

Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Adaptation UV mapping

I have UV mapped nearly everything but the oars just refused to work out in any agreeable way. Some long thin polygons are distorted as well, maybe I should add more geometry into them?

Adaptation B details on my ship

Today I added detail to the ship of bones to make the whole design look more complete. All the windows are not just holes anymore but they have proper frames now, the deck and roof of the cabin look slightly more distinct, I gave the heart a harness so that it doesn't flow freely anymore and I forgot to mention yesterday that I tied the sails to the mast.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016

adaptation lock of hair

The hair looks like the orthograph but I'm not sure if that's what I'm meant to do? I'm pretty happy with the rest of the model though so I'll run everything past Alan tomorrow and can hopefully start laying out UV's :D

adaptation progress

Phil suggested yesterday that I could model the floor and the cabin of the ship as a ribcage to make it look less generic and more interesting, and while everything needs a bit more clearing up I'm happy with the results! Instead of having a bone stretch over the top of the cabin it now has bones that are connected to the cabin, giving it a more authentic look of a ship of bones. I also modeled a new sail which billows in the wind (this time without animation) and added some ropes to keep it in place! Some cleaning up and the lock of hair will be my next steps.

Sunday, 17 April 2016

Adaptation working on sail

Here is my first go at building a sail! 
Added some windows to match the door as well and I reshaped the floor of the ship as it's not quite right in the above picture.

Saturday, 16 April 2016

Adaptation door and heart

I will add more details to the door tomorrow but I have finished to model the heart, which proved to be quite difficult! There is always a heart cushion around when you don't need it but today it would have been useful :p

Adaptation Oars

I have added the oars, with one broken one on each side but different lengths. I have cleaned up the body of the ship, and the tail which somehow managed to get some faces bunched up together, resulted in odd looks! My next steps will be to model the front of the cabin and the heart.

Friday, 15 April 2016

Adaptation progress :)

After having a few chats with Alan yesterday I remodelled the mast, started on the cabin with windows and the front still missing and managed to put in little windows for the oars! There is still some cleaning up to do as some of the additional geometry created a bit of an edge but I'll get to that next.
First I will straighten out the geometry, then I will get onto modelling the front of the cabin, the heart that goes inside it and then the sail with hair, which I will probably need Alan's advice for, and I keep forgetting that I need to do the oars too!

Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Adaptation B mast and some deck

I gave the tail more definition, built the mast and started on the cabin in the back, I will have to work out how to fit the heart in there and have oar holes in the body of the ship.

Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Adaptation B modelling progress

Alan showed me a simpler way of modelling my boat, this is what I have achieved today.

Friday, 8 April 2016

Adaptation B Maya Progress

I started modelling in Maya yesterday and so far my progress is going well, taking small steps, ensuring there is enough geometry and always straightening everything out/ making sure it's in the right place before adding more seems to work well for now.

Adaptation B Artwork

from the front with sail

from the front without sail
from the back without a sail

Some drawings from the front and back and without a sail as the sail covers the mast and deck on the back of the ship to envision the concept better.

Wednesday, 6 April 2016

Adaptation B orthographic views

Edit: I posted it up last night, checked the morning and realized that the front didn't have the same sizing applied as the side view so I sorted that out. Ready to start the rough model :)

Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Adaptation B new design

My new ship design, I prefer the red over the brown as it adds a little more depth.

Character for sculpting

I chose toothless as my little dragon model needs a companion.

Sunday, 3 April 2016

@Alan @Phil Adaptation B

I have tried to apply the proportions of the ship in the upper left corner to the child's drawing and 33 is the outcome! 31 was a bit of a between stage where I felt I just re drew the child's drawing but 33 looks like it could actually work.